Saturday, October 2, 2010

Make Mine Music

Day 24: Learn to play the guitar

As a child growing up in the Wiser family learning to play a musical instrument was not so much a choice as it was a genetic requirement, thanks mostly in part to my grandfather.  Grandpa Wiser (or Chuck to so many others) was an amazingly talented musician and he used his gift to instill a love of music in countless others throughout his career as a music teacher.  As his grandchildren we were not exempt from his musical legacy.  We each took lessons from him at different times, on various different instruments (except maybe Tracy, she stuck to her piano lessons with the incomparable Gladys Coyan.) My instrument of choice at the time was the Violin, and while it is still my top pick, I have thought about learning the guitar for quite some time.

Usually one would need to acquire an instrument in order to learn to play it.  Lucky for me I already had said instrument in my possession.  While there are unquestionably many benefits to living in a single family home versus and apartment one might argue that there are also certain drawbacks as well, not the least of which the lack of access to wealth of perfectly good property that people feel they no longer require and therefore leave by the dumpster to be given a new home by the first lucky passer-by.  I have been that lucky resident on more that one occasion, but perhaps the best one was when someone left two entirely acceptable acoustic guitars, free for the taking.  They were a little worse for ware and needed a little cleaning. One had no strings, the other had a small crack on the face, but there was nothing a novice like myself couldn't deal with.  And now, over a year later the guitars were still sitting in my closet, unplayed except for the occasional jam session by my nephews. 

My goal for today was not to completely learn to play the guitar, as I understand that would be highly implausible to master in one day.  What I was hoping to accomplish was to be able to play a song somewhat recognizably.  I chose Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, in homage to one of the first songs my grandfather taught me on the Violin (and just about the only song I can now even attempt to play) and because it only required three relatively simple chords.  I began to learn the chords, which at first were awkward at best but seemed to get easier as I practiced.  Then right as I thought I might actually be getting somewhere I heared that unmistakable snap. There went my A string (unfortunately for the sake of this little narrative it was not my G string.)  As I attempted to progress despite my impaired instrument I realized it was an impossible task.

So while some might say I did not actually fulfill my obligation I beg to differ.  Did I do more to learn to play the guitar than I ever have thus far? Yes.  Did I actually play recognizable chords on a guitar?  Yes (well if it were tuned correctly that is.) Was I able to play a basic song? Well, no, but I do have every intention of continuing my training.  However considering how long it took me to take the initiative to start learning when I had a perfectly usable instrument at my disposal, I can't promise that the reprise of my musical career will be any time in the near future.

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, I can just hear it now, the sweet sound of a newcomer to the world of music, practicing for the first time. Are you sure it wasn't your neighbors that loaned you that oil filter wrench, that willed that string to break? An interesting thought.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete